Wednesday 17 October 2012

Reflection

I am now I'm reaching the 18 months mark of my time here in Belgium. I have finished my time as a Au Pair and I am still very lucky that I can babysit for them at times.

It has been a very up and down 18 months and when I first became a au pair I never imaged the impact the family would have on me. I love the family almost like they were my own and the realisation of leaving them was difficult  I also had in fact learned a great deal from them. But I guess that's what the experience is all about. I am very close to the daughter a lot more than the son. However I have grown very found of them both.

As for the other aspects of my life in Belgium. Sometimes it can be slow a difficult. Some days it feels like a big struggle. My language learning is slow and steady  however my hopes for a job are small. All I can do for now is learn Dutch and hope Kevin gets a job with enough to support us as a programmer until I can get things prepared on the Dutch front. However I must admit that currently I am not enjoying my classes at all. The teacher can be really bad sometimes and I feel very out casted among all the Turkish and French speaking people in my class. The is a couple of Spanish girls who however are very nice at lest.

However the more I am here the more things I love about Flanders and Gent and the more I want to make things work. I guess i just have to be paceant. Also in other news I will no longer be writing for Fans of Flanders. Apparently my blog just isn't up to scratch. However I guess that's not important as I write it for myself.

Anyway last weekend I had a lovely shopping trip to get myself some winter goodies. The cold weather is setting in now time to bring out all those winter woollies and in my case buy some more  I almost got my long awaited Leonidas  hot chocolate on Saturday to. However when we went it was close lol. I have only been waiting for a hot chocolate there since last November  Oh well try again in a few weeks I guess however we did have a lovely dinner in the Founde Huisje. I can totally recommend there house rose wine to was really nice. A kind of grenache or slightly dry zinfandel. It was very light to drink and went lovely with the cheese and shrimp crockets before the fondue came. Also I would love to know what dressing the put on there salads there it was so yum. All in all it was a fab day we bought some xmas gifts Kevin got a game and I got a few jumpers and very achy feet. I must admit despite the weather being so horriebal and rainy that day im surprised that Gent was so busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment