Saturday 6 October 2012

Fans Of Flanders Outing

So a few weeks ago  I went on an adventure for the TV Show Fans Of Flanders. I was sent out to try electrified 3. Basically every year they do products around the city to try out. I was sent of 2 of the 3 projects.

The first of these projects was what they called a bicycle opera. My first thoughts was it would passably be a traditional opera and then with actors around the city. However it wasn't really like a opera at all. It was more like a tour of the city with a interesting soundtrack. It was very interesting however how you ride along and here pieces of the city inter grated with pieces of music. Sometimes you almost felt like you were half in another time or place as your ears were hearing sounds and stories from the 60s and your eyes were seeing 2012 making things somewhat unreal and dreamlike. However most of all it was a lot of fun.

As for the second piece this was even weirder for me. It was partly the same idea about taking sounds from a pre recorded track and emphasizing sounds from the city. This time I was given a pair of head phones and  there was music and dialogue. The idea behind the dialogue was in fact that I didn't exist and I was there to observe people and what people do. Given that we as people usually walk around with our heads down as we go about your daily lives and don't really pay attention to others around us it was also nice to take the time and see what sounds and images we notice. The sounds also came into the track from a microphone but were some how distorted keeping up the sense of I am not really here almost like I'm a ghost. Thus as I walked around I began to forget that I was in a way real and forget that people around me may walk into me etc.

The more I reflect on both events I do think that the second one was perhaps my Favourite as they were both a real experience and my talking about them just dose't do them justice. However I feel that I got more from the second one it left with with a lot to think about and reflect on. Over all both pieces purpus I think was to make people be more aware of the city around them and I defiantly discovered more of Gent of my travels.

I fully recommend trying them out as its something that will stick with me for a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment