Monday 17 September 2012

Got Milk??????

Ok so I have been here what now 16 months and I have never wrote about this topic before but it is something that is very much in my daily life here in Belgium and that is of course Milk. Now I come from uk were most milk is fresh milk. This mean that it has to kept in the fridge and lasts from about 3 days to a week depending on weather it is whole milk semi skimmed or skimmed. Basically how much cream is in them. However I discovered in Belgium that most milk is UHT. I read somewhere around 97% in fact but this could be a little off. Now before anyone starts on me. Yes you can get fresh milk. It is a bit more expansive however my problem is this its only available in whole or semi skimmed and I only drink skimmed milk. So this means no fresh milk for Hannah.


People say why not just drink UHT milk. After all its better for the environment. Yes that maybe the case however in my opoion it tastes like utter crap. It was a weird smell and taste to it. I have found one brand called campina that well I can cope with in my tea and in my cereal however I cant really drink it on its own and really just tastes werider when it is warmed. However it would seem that skimmed milk also isnt very popular in this country. This brings me to my second dielemma. Getting a skimmed milk latte. So i spent my frist 4 to 5 months in belgium craving a good skimmed latte. Never mind a good one I couldn't even find one.   So you can imageing my excitement when leaveing antwerp train station and finding a starbucks. (Even though in UK I dont even like starbucks much im more of a costa coffee girl) Regardless I payed a small fortune for a skimmed latte and this was my reactation.


















Now lucky for me since those photos that were taken a little over a year ago they have opened 2 Starbucks in gent. (I guess someone out there heard my cries). So at least I can get skimmed lattes a little more regularly than going all the way to Antwerp. However they are still around 5 euros a go. But I have started wondering weather I can make myself drink Semi skimmed milk again or weather it will be to rich for me and at least then I can get my fresh milk more regular than going to the Nederlands for it. Well there you have it the story of Me Milk and Belgium. I wonder if anyone else has this problem or they have managed to go for the Belgium style milk or do they still get the fresh stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment